AC Locksmiths Brisbane – Lock Bolt Utility and Maintenance
The humble door has more than just another part of a house. It has become a statement piece to which people put time and money into choosing. Still there are factors unseen that complete a door to do its main job. To safeguard our home. Opening a door is much more than turning a key and pushing. We are going to talk this time about bolts, those great unknown but irreplaceable elements for our safety. And except for sliding and folding doors, the common bolt is the part that guarantees the following:
- Silent and effortless door opening.
- Total security that accompanies the lock.
- The physical and mobile connection between the door and the frame.
Related: AC Locksmiths: Locksmith in Brisbane
Not all doors need bolts, sometimes a few simple hinges are enough to fulfil the opening function. For the door to be totally secured, the role of the bolt is indisputable. Not only should it be of top quality, but also maintenance friendly, so you can take care of its maintenance yourself periodically. Sometimes a simple greasing oil can improve the door opening.
Call a locksmith if the solution is not enough
But what happens when this solution is not enough? With time and daily use of the door, some parts will start to show their age and might need replacing or proper maintenance which can be carried out by a trusted locksmith professional. Why? Sometimes it will be a simple sanding and oiling, sometimes it will be repaired (for very special or historic doors) and other times it will be replaced. A bad bolt may go unnoticed by you, you may just notice a slight more effort when opening and closing. For others, it marks the weak point of this door. A locksmith will give you sound advice on which steps to take and how you can always be on top of your door.
Tips for lubricating the bolts
- With common oil – Sewing machine type oil or similar. It is not highly recommended, since said oil adheres a little more to the dust, but as a first option it’s enough, as long as you clean it and later replace it with something more appropriate.
- With multipurpose lubricants – There is no specific brand for this purpose. There are some hinges with a hole in which you can spray the lubricant directly into it with the extension straw provided with the product.. These oils, contrary to the common ones, carry antioxidant additives and other properties depending on the brand.
- Grease – If the door is larger and heavier than a common one, such as the entrance to a farm, warehouse or garage, it is better to use this type of grease, since its composition and durability improves the opening while minimizing the friction of the metal parts. . It is recommended that before applying, wipe off the old grease in order to remove build up.
Need any help or advice on this topic. We are here for you for any questions you might have.
Call us today on
The friendly team at AC Locksmiths Brisbane